If you’ve been driving around in Raleigh, chances are you’ve seen some road signs advertising companies that buy houses.
Often times they say things like “We Buy Raleigh Houses!” or “Cash For Your House”.
Are these “we buy houses in Raleigh companies” credible?
How do I know if the local house buying companies out there are honest and credible?
Many look the same at the start, but we’ll walk you through some things to look for in a local house buying company before you should work with them.
Buying and selling houses is a valid and respectable profession that can help communities and house sellers in many ways. But just like any other line of work – some house buyers in any market are the ones who make the rest of us look bad.
It can be similar to buying a used car:
There are shady “used car sales-people” that you should avoid, and there are plenty of reputable businesses that help others own certified pre-owned vehicles.
There are people who are really great, ethical folks who improve their neighborhoods one property at a time.
Then there’s shady, dishonest people who put money ahead of their clients, and who would sign the contract to sell their own grandmother with one hand while stabbing you in the back with the other – as long as they were making enough money.
They are out there!
We’ll help you avoid these “shady house buyers” so you can work with honest, ethical, and reputable local companies who can buy your house for a fair all cash offer and close on a date that works for you.
What Reputable Raleigh House Buyers Are Doing
- Helping people improve their lives by accessing the money they need right away. Many homeowners need the to leave town unexpectedly due to job transfers, caring for sick relatives, job loss, etc. We can make that happen in just a few days, and we deliver peace of mind.
- Helping people get rid of a burdensome property without the hassle of having to list it with an agent and wait months for a sale.
- Creating local jobs. We hire contractors, electricians, plumbers, brokers, attorneys, HVAC technicians, painters, and flooring installers and many other Wake County residents along the way.
- Buying US products. We spend tons of money on materials that are made right here in the USA – that creates jobs in our timber mills, factories, supply shops, distribution centers and more. The US economy depends on steady improvement, and that requires investment from people like us.
- Increasing the value of Raleigh neighborhoods. When we improve a house, we’re helping to increase the value of the entire community. We often repair abandoned and neglected houses, turning them into beautiful homes for families. That activity strengthens Raleigh.
- Increasing the tax base. When a new buyer takes over one of our properties, they’ll pay a higher tax rate based on the new and improved value. Those taxes go to pay for our schools, fire, police, libraries, streets and other valuable pieces of infrastructure. Again, improving our neighborhoods.
Pretty cool stuff, right?
Lots of people think of house-flipping as a get-rich-quick scheme. That’s fueled by silly “reality” shows that exaggerate the drama because the reality of what we do on a daily basis is actually pretty boring–reality TV is anything but reality!
So let’s get back to how you can use this information to find out if someone is a credible buyer/investor, and not just pulling a house buying scam.
How To Ensure You’re Working With A Reputable Local House Buyer
When you talk with a local house buyer to potentially buy your house… ensure they’re reputable by doing research about the company online:
- Do they have credible testimonials on their website?
- Do the testimonials link to Google reviews or Facebook?
- Are they a member of an organization local the Better Business Bureau?
- Is their website personalized, or is it cookie-cutter?
- How long does it take them to return calls?
and ask them some key questions:
- How do you help your clients?
- Tell me about situation where you really helped a homeowner…
- How do your services differ from your competitors?
- How long have you been in business?
- How do I know that you’ll close on my house when you say you will?
Red flags used by shady scammers..
- “Kitchen table closings” – If a buyer tries to get you to sign the deed (ownership) of your house over to them at your kitchen table, rather than a professional place like a closing attorney or title company… be skeptical! The actual closing should occur at the office of a neutral 3rd party like an attorney or title company. This ensures everything is done right and clean.
- Pressuring you into a fast closing – If a house buyer tries to pressure you into selling your house and says that you have to make the decision today, be leery. Most reputable house buying services will make you and offer and that offer will be on the table for at least 2-3 days for you to make a decision. The reason reputable house buying services like ours at Otranto Real Estate Co - Mike Buys Houses do place deadlines on our offers is because the market changes and values can change week to week depending on other sales in the area, also… we buy multiple houses a month and when we make you an offer we’re assuring you that the cash to purchase your house is ready and we’ll reserve that cash for several days so if you do want to sell your house, we can close on your schedule. If you feel the offer isn’t a fit for you, then we’ll assign those funds to help another seller with their home sale.
True investors who run honest and ethical Raleigh house buying services, are building long-term businesses based on relationships and community development.
So when you’re looking at one of the “we buy houses in Raleigh companies“… never be afraid to ask questions!